27 March 2008

Wurttemberg, Russia and Deifel

I was just reading in my book, Germanic Genealogy: A Guide to Worldwide Sources and Migration Patterns about the Germans in Russia. One thing that would be most interesting to me is to establish a link between some Deifels from the Volga region of Russia to the Deifels to which we are related in Germany. According to my aunt Diane's research, many of the ancestors of "our" Deifels are from the Wurttemburg region of Germany. What I just read is that many of the Germans who left Germany for the Volga region came from the WURTTEMBERG area! This is BIG news and something that I will investigate this spring or summer. I cannot recall, but for some reason I thought I saw that that there was a couple of Deifels in US immigration records, but their origin was in Russia. If that is the case, they may be related to us AND their descendants are in the US!!

1 comment:

Jared said...

Hello,
Are you are interested in knowing more about the Deifels in the Odessa region? I would be happy to share what I have. My gg-grandmother was Carolina Deifel who married Fred Ginther in Peterstal (Petersthal) Odessa Region, Russia. Immigrated in 1909 and settled in North Dakota. The farthest the Deifel/Teufel line goes back for us is to Johann Teufel/Deifel who was born about 1762 in Markgronningen, Ludwigsburg, Wurttemberg, Germany (As far as Carl Stumpp's book on Black Sea Germans is concerned.) I was in particular interested in the reference to a Ginther/Ginter name that was mentioned in a March 27, 2008 post. Like you, many of my family lines stop in the early 1800's. I know several of my lines took a "pit stop" in Hungary and Poland, but I thought most of the families went on to Odessa region by way of the Danube River. There may be something more to this. I am an hour drive from the LDS family history library in Salt Lake City. If you have any continued interest let me know.
Jared Genther
jarbear@gmail.com